Tuesday 1 May 2012

The Avengers Review



This is a quick Avengers review! The Avengers, if you’ve been stuck under a rock for the past few years, is the coming together of the main characters in the films Iron Man 2, Captain America, Thor, and The Incredible Hulk.  The film stars Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Scarlett Johannson and Jeremy Renner and is directed by Joss Whedon.  In a nutshell, this movie is about Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye coming together to form the Avengers team in order to defeat Loki from destroying the world with the help of his alien friends.

I would definitely recommend watching the earlier movies before watching this one, especially Thor considering Loki is Thor’s evil brother and gives the backstory into why Loki would be doing this, and the movie doesn’t have time to waste on filling you in, so be prepared!

Joss Whedon, who also wrote the script, has done such a great job in making sure no one character overshadowed another, and they all got pretty much equal screen time which I thought would be a tough task. 

I just wanted to break down certain parts of the film because it is such a huge movie…
·      Best actor/character: As much as I love Robert Downey Jr, I’m going to go with Mark Ruffalo on this one, he replaced Edward Norton as the Hulk and I’ve got to say he did really well at being the gentle scientist and then the crazy Hulk.  When he was the Hulk, he was hilarious, it wasn’t stuff that he said obviously because most of it is just “ARRRGGHHH” but just little things he did and how he did them.  It’s also very cool that he was able to play the Hulk as in the actual green man, because Lou Ferrigno, who has been playing the Hulk for years and years, usually does that.


·      Most boring character: I’ve got to put it out there, I really do not like Thor, he is just so boring (and I actually fell asleep during Thor) and it sucks that if you really want the whole picture you have to watch Thor. He may as well talk like this “I Thor, I strong. Save world now.”
·      Best line: Probably Captain America, when he’s giving all these orders to the Avengers and then he just goes, “and Hulk…smash!” which the audience loved.
·      Worst line: I don’t know if it was the delivery or something, but I didn’t like the part after Iron Man says, “I’m bringing the party to you!” And Black Widow says, “I don’t see how that’s a party…”
·      Most heroic: While they’re all obviously super heroic, I think Iron Man really saves the day and you see him completely risk his life to save everyone else, which is very different from Tony Stark’s selfish character.  

It was probably a little bit too long, but fans of the other movies will definitely enjoy this one, and although I hated seeing New York get destroyed in the final scenes, I’m going to give the movie 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment